Welcome to NAIT

Register with NAIT

Who needs to register with NAIT?

Anyone who is in charge of cattle or deer needs to register with NAIT. This includes:

  • cattle and deer farmers
  • lifestyle farmers
  • meat processors
  • stock agents at saleyards, and
  • graziers in charge of grazing animals.

When you register, you will become a person in charge of animals (PICA) for NAIT purposes. This means that you are the person who is in day-to-day charge of cattle or deer, not necessarily the owner of those animals. NAIT requirements are your responsibility.

To change the person who is listed as the PICA for a registered NAIT number, call the NAIT contact centre on 0800 482 463 or click here to download a PICA Change Application form.

Register now

Watch the tutorial video on registering with NAIT

Spouses and family members

If you are the spouse or family member of someone registered with NAIT, but you will be recording NAIT information for them, you will also need to register with us. It's quick and easy to register, then your spouse or family member can assign you as a PICA delegate. 

Find out more about being a PICA delegate


Organisations can choose to register as an organisation with NAIT. This provides benefits such as being able to have an administrator who can set up and maintain information about PICAs on behalf of the organisation.

Find out more on registering as an organisation

Getting a NAIT number

A NAIT number links you, the person in charge of animals (PICA), to a certain property. Once you have registered as a PICA Farmer, you can then register the location(s) where you are in charge of NAIT animals. This is known as a NAIT location and helps us to identify where your animals are. Once you have registered your NAIT location you will be given a unique NAIT number. Your NAIT number refers to you as the PICA at a location.

We use the biosecurity database provided by MPI known as FarmsOnLine which has a register of farming locations. You can select the location where you are in charge of animals from this database.

To use one NAIT number for all your farms, all must fall within a 10km radius. If any of your farming locations fall outside of the parameters of the circle, (e.g. the blue farm below), you will need to register each location individually and have a separate NAIT number for each location. This means you will need to record movements if your animals move between each NAIT location.

J1153 NAIT 10km graphic July 2018 web banner 285x500

It is best practice that herds managed separately have their own NAIT number and corresponding TBfree herd number. This way we can better trace and contain any disease outbreaks that may occur.

Moving Farms

If you move farms you cannot take your NAIT number with you. You will need to register a new NAIT location and will be assigned a new NAIT number. A movement must be recorded for any animals that move with you. If you use an information provider, remember to advise them of your new NAIT number.

If you require an update to your registered farm location for any other reason, please click here to download an Update Registered Farm Details application form.

Change of PICA

If there is a change of PICA for a herd, the departing PICA can apply to change the PICA for their NAIT number. This means that the new PICA will be able to continue to use the same NAIT number and can view the animal and movement history recorded for the NAIT location.

Click here to download a PICA Change application form.