Requirements for sale yards
From 1 July 2012 for cattle and 1 March 2013 for deer, every Person In Charge of Animals (PICA) must:
- Register with NAIT within two days of becoming in charge of animals
- Tag animals with NAIT-approved tags and register them in the NAIT IT system
- Record movements of animals on or off the location where they are in charge of animals
- Record animal deaths, loss or intended export of NAIT animals
In addition, PICAs at sale yards, including livestock agents, are required to ensure that NAIT animals received at their sale yard without NAIT-approved tags are tagged and registered with NAIT before leaving the sale yard. For more information on NAIT tags see the Tagging requirements fact sheet.
Registering as an organisation
Sale yards may wish to register as organisations with NAIT so that they can appoint an organisation administrator to carry out certain functions on behalf of the organisation. This can be done by calling the NAIT contact centre on 0800 624 843. For more details, see the Registering an organisation fact sheet.
Sale yards may wish to become NAIT-accredited, so that they can record animal movements on behalf of their clients. Read more information on becoming accredited.
Sending information to NAIT
Information can be sent to NAIT by:
- Uploading a file using the Common System Interface or
- Uploading a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file or
- Manually entering the information into the system.
For more details see the fact sheet Sending information to NAIT.