Recording animal movements
All movements for cattle and deer between locations with different NAIT numbers need to be recorded in the NAIT system.
For example this includes:
- Movements to or from a grazing or run-off block
- Farm-to-farm movements by private sale
- Movements to or from a sale yard or to a meat processor
Animal movements to and from locations with different NAIT numbers must be recorded within 48 hours of the movement taking place.
If you are sending cattle or deer off farm, you need to record a sending movement within 48 hours. If you are receiving cattle or deer, you need to confirm the movement within 48 hours.
If you are sending animals to a NAIT accredited sale yard or meat processor, they will record the sending movement on your behalf. If you receive animals from a NAIT accredited sale yard, you are still required to confirm the movement.
Find out if your local sale yard or meat processor is NAIT accredited.
If you move animals to a block of land that is within 20km of your farm and has the same NAIT number, you do not need to record a movement. For more information on the 20km rule, refer to the getting a NAIT number fact sheet.
Please note an Animal Status Declaration (ASD) form still needs to be completed for every animal movement. Please include your NAIT number on ASD forms when moving stock. If your form does not include a specific box for the NAIT number, enter it in the ‘Reference’ box in the top right hand corner. View examples of old and new ASD forms.
Information to provide
When recording an animal movement you will need to supply NAIT with:
- The NAIT number of the person sending the animals
- The NAIT number of the person receiving the animals
- The 16 digit NAIT tag number or the linked birth identification number of the animals.
How to record animal movements
Animal movements can be recorded electronically using the NAIT system by:
- Uploading a file using the Common System Interface
- Uploading a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file
- Manually entering the information into the system.
For more details see the fact sheet on sending information to NAIT.
Movements must be recorded to events such rodeos, expos and A + P shows. There is an exemption for school pet days. Find out more about movement to events.
Who can help
You can choose to have animal movements recorded for you on your behalf. This can be done by: