A PICA (Person In Charge of Animals) delegate is a person who has been nominated by a PICA to undertake some or all of their NAIT obligations on their behalf.
- Recording animal movements from one NAIT number to another on the NAIT system
- Tagging animals with a NAIT tag
- Registering animals on the NAIT system
- Managing animal information in the NAIT system
When to use a PICA delegate
A PICA delegate can be assigned to a your NAIT number for a specified or indefinite period to undertake NAIT obligations on your behalf.
Circumstances where this may be required include:
- When you need someone to act on your behalf for a period of time while you are away from the farm where you are in charge of animals
- When you are a farm owner and have farm managers running the property
- Where you are a manager at a sale yard/meat processing facility where the "actual" person in charge of the animal changes regularly e.g. shift managers, stock agents
Although you can assign a PICA delegate to your NAIT number, the responsibility for meeting NAIT obligations always remains with you as the person in charge of animals.
Who can assign a PICA delegate?
A PICA delegate can be assigned to a NAIT number in the following ways:
- A PICA can assign a PICA delegate to their own NAIT number
- The NAIT contact centre can assign a PICA delegate to a NAIT number on behalf of the person in charge of animals for that NAIT number, call 0800 624 843
- An organisation administrator can assign a PICA delegate to a NAIT number for the organisation that they are the Organisation Administrator for
- An Information Provider can assign a PICA delegate to a NAIT number on behalf of the person in charge of animals at that NAIT number
How do I assign a delegate?
PICA delegates can be assigned to a NAIT number in the NAIT system. Find out how to assign a PICA delegate.