Requirements for farmers and lifestylers with cattle or deer
Anyone in charge of cattle or deer must comply with NAIT regulations. The same rules apply whether you have one animal or 1000. The main requirements are explained below, along with where you can get help.
Register with NAIT if you are a person in charge of animals (PICA). Once you have registered you can apply for a NAIT number, which:
- links you to the property where you are in charge of animals, and
- is in addition to an AHB herd number.
Managing your animals
To meet your NAIT requirements, you need to:
- tag your animals with NAIT approved RFID ear tags
- register your animals in the NAIT system, and
- record and confirm animal movements.
If you need help understanding or meeting your NAIT requirements you can:
- call us on 0800 624 843 or email us at email@example.com
- assign a PICA delegate to act on your behalf, or
- use a NAIT accredited information provider to act on your behalf.